Friday 2 January 2009

Tape experiments

I have been working with tape. Really interesting, getting back to the roots. That sort of feeling. I received a really old Akai (GX4400) reel to reel with a bunch of tapes a few months ago and decided that it would be fun to create new stuff out of the computer. There's a tendency: the crackle box, the mic, now this. ...

And it really is fun to work with your hands on a tape. Funny thing was that the tape that came with the deck was so old that the oxide layer just came off the substrate layer while recording. The picture illustrates this. You can see the stuff that came off in front of the deck. This process was enhanced by my manipulation of the tape. I recorded layer after layer by shutting off the eraser head. I did this with a small screw driver which I used to reroute the tape as I recorded. But because the screw driver was a bit sharp it tore off more material. With quite interesting results. To be and certainly will be continued.

0 reacties:

About This Blog

WOOHHAHAHA

Our Blogger Templates

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP